History of Aromatherapy and RomanceFor thousands of years, people have used scents and aromas for love and sensuality. In ancient Egypt and Rome, bathing with essential oils was part of the ritual of preparation for lovemaking. Cleopatra, one of the most renowned lovers of all time, is reputed to have scented the sails of her royal barge with rose water to seduce Mark Antony as she sailed to meet him. Today, the perfume industry is a multibillion- dollar business based on the notion that fragrance makes us more attractive to each other. Nature’s essential oils have been used to heal the body, enhance life, evoke memories and seduce.
How Essential Oils WorkThe aromatic molecules are inhaled and carried to the olfactory membrane, the place from which millions of nerve endings send signals to the brain. The scents are analyzed in different centers of the brain for memories and emotional and sexual responses. There’s a logical explanation for scent’s powerful effect on romance: there are studies that show that essential oils can act directly on the limbic system of the brain, the center of our emotions, memories and sexual behavior. Essential oils can affect your mood, emotional well-being and desires. The use of essential oils can help enhance self-confidence, radiate vibrancy, and increase sensitivity. Some essential oils can be stimulants, others aphrodisiacs, others euphoric or sedative. Their scents stimulate the mood and psyche creating erotic sensations and awakening desire.
Essential Oils for Romance:
- PATCHOULI – Voluptuous, evident, suggestive, sensual. Reaches deep into the emotions and helps to decrease inhibition and to enable the release of emotions.
- YLANG YLANG – Exotic, intense and exciting. it’s believed that its stimulating and healing properties can help in cases of impotence and frigidity. It can help dispel feelings of anger, jealousy and envy.
- CARDAMOM – Its aroma helps clear the mind and stimulates the appetite for love. Spicy and profoundly sensual in nature.
- CLARY SAGE – Seductive, sensual and mildly intoxicating, exhilarating and euphoric. Soothes stress and anxiety and helps to remove fears and emotional blocks allowing for a deeper communication between partners.
- GRAPEFRUIT – Instills self-confidence and positivity. It’s tart scent invites playfulness and brightens up the day.
- MANDARIN – Fresh, young and playful. Mandarin adds joy and lightness to any aromatherapy blend. Enhances emotional well-being.
- LEMON – Stimulant, refreshing, restores the nervous system. Applied through massage, it can help to improve circulation. Adds joy and lightness to any aromatherapy blend.