When I first started learning aromatherapy, my family members became my guinea pigs. I would try out various concoctions on them to see how essential oils really worked.
My husband used to have frequent bouts of headaches, which ranged from mild heaviness to severe migraines. One of my major goals as an aromatherapist (and a wife) was to find something that could help him.
What causes a headache?
A headache can stem from a million causes. Some of the more common ones are:
• Physical or emotional stress
• Blocked Sinuses
• Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
• Food allergies
• Changes in weather
• Hormonal fluctuations
• Injury to the head
Certain essential oils, owing to their analgesic, anti-inflammatory, relaxant and stimulating properties, are very effective in providing relief from headaches. So much so that they can even eliminate the need for any painkillers.
While trying out various essential oil combinations (Lavender and Marjoram were my favorites) on my husband, I found that if the pain was caught on time, essential oils provided almost immediate relief.
If the pain was severe, I would perform a compress along with the blend to accelerate the healing process.
Along the years, I have come to realize that essential oils not only provide physical relief from headaches, but also diminished their frequency over time.
My husband, who would suffer from debilitating headaches almost everyday, now barely has one every few months!
I shared this knowledge with many of my clients and they too saw similar results. Later on, when I created my aromatherapy line, I developed an easy to use roll-on that can be used by anyone, anytime.
The most effective oils for headaches – Lavender, Mandarin, Birch, Peppermint, Lavandin and Cardamom – are all contained in the Headache Begone Roll On.
At the first hint of discomfort, rub some onto your temples, sinuses, back of the neck and massage gently.
Aromatherapy compress for headaches
If pain persists, follow up with a hot-cold compress. Here’s how to do it:
- Take 2 empty bowls
- Add a teaspoon of salt to each bowl
- Add the following essential oils to each bowl
– 2 drops Lavender (analgesic, anti-inflammatory)
– 2 drops Marjoram (analgesic, vasodilator)
– 1 drop Peppermint (analgesic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant)
– 2 drops Rosemary (improves circulation, analgesic)
- Add hot water to one bowl and iced water to the other
- Use one small towel for each bowl and do alternate compresses on the forehead. Compresses should be changed frequently for best results.
- Leave one hot compress on the back of the neck – this will increase the flow of blood to the head.
Do try this out if you are looking for a natural home remedy for headaches. And don’t forget to tell us how it helped you.
© 2014, Cristina Proano-Carrion, Aromandina LLC