People are always asking me if there’s a certain scent that will make their customers more willing to spend money. The answer I always give? There’s no such thing as a “magic potion”, but certain scents CAN make your business more welcoming — and the more welcoming your storefront is, the more comfortable people will be making purchases there.
After all, isn’t your goal to give customers a place to go where they can disconnect from the outside world and focus on products that make their lives better in some way? Exposing them to a particular scent is a great way to do that!
Additionally, studies have shown that a distinct scent can make your business more memorable. In one study, people were able to recall specific scents with 65% accuracy after an entire year had gone by. When it comes to photos and other visual images, they were only able to recall with 50% accuracy after a year had gone by. Bottom line — if you want people to remember you, you’ve got to tap into the power of scent!
So, which scents are best?
Before we talk about that, we need to address an important point — there is a HUGE difference between essential oils and synthetic fragrances! Synthetic fragrances are made with various chemicals — instead of anything that’s actually found in nature — which means they can be dangerous. The last thing you need is for a customer to have an asthma attack or break out in a rash because you sprayed some fake scent into the air!
Essential oils, on the other hand, are natural compounds that come from plants’ roots, stems, flowers, bark, and seeds. They don’t have any toxins or synthetic additives in them — meaning that if you want to tap into your customers’ sense of smell safely, you need to use essential oils.
So, which essential oils are most likely to bring you more business?
That depends on the mood you’re trying to create!
I always tell my clients that they should aim for an uplifting, relaxing atmosphere. If you select essential oils that have calming or sedative properties, your employees may feel too sluggish to do their best, and your customers may feel too listless to actually buy anything!
But by creating an environment that’s relaxing and uplifting, your customers can experience a bunch of feel-good emotions — while also feeling comfortable enough to take their time inspecting your products and making purchases. Sounds like the perfect way to make more money, right?!
Here are some essential oils that will create that perfect atmosphere:
- Any of the citrus oils: Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot or Aromandina’s Citrus Delight
- Peppermint, Rosemary or Aromandina’s Memoria Blend — all of them create a fresh, clean scent that makes customers and employees feel more alert
- Cinnamon — which needs to be used in moderation because it’s so powerful. I also love mixing 2 drops of Cinnamon oil with 10 drops of Orange because they complement each other so well!
- Clary Sage and Ylang Ylang — both of which can eliminate feelings of jealousy and envy. That way, both your customers and your employees will be in a better mood, which will lead to an all-around more positive environment. That’s a great way to boost your sales!
- Spruce — especially during the winter season. It will help your customers feel more grounded and slightly calmer, which comes in handy on those cold, dark days and during the holiday shopping rush!
And, as an added benefit, essential oils have antiseptic properties. So, by burning them or putting them in a diffuser, you’ll actually help ward off germs. Imagine how much better your business would perform if your employees weren’t constantly getting a case of the sniffles!
How to use them
Use an aromatherapy burner, fill the bowl with warm water and add a total of 5-15 drops. Keep burner on for a couple of hours a day.
Ready to harness the power of essential oils in YOUR business? Aromandina’s products make it easy… Go check them out today!
© 2014, Cristina Proano-Carrion, Aromandina LLC
This information is based on traditional use of aromatherapy and it does not intend to diagnose or treat any condition. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. No part of this article may be reproduced in whole or in part without the explicit written permission of Aromandina.