History of Aromatherapy and Romance
For thousands of years, people have used scents and aromas for love and sensuality. In ancient Egypt and Rome, bathing with essential oils was part of the ritual of preparation for lovemaking. Cleopatra, one of the most renowned lovers of all time, is reputed to have scented the sails of her royal barge with rose water to seduce Mark Antony as she sailed to meet him. Today, the perfume industry is a multibillion- dollar business based on the notion that fragrance makes us more attractive to each other. Nature’s essential oils have been used to heal the body, enhance life, evoke memories and seduce.
How Essential Oils Work
The aromatic molecules are inhaled and carried to the olfactory membrane, the place from which millions of nerve endings send signals to the brain. The scents are analyzed in different centers of the brain for memories and emotional and sexual responses. There’s a logical explanation for scent’s powerful effect on romance: there are studies that show that essential oils can act directly on the limbic system of the brain, the center of our emotions, memories and sexual behavior. Essential oils can affect your mood, emotional well-being and desires.
The use of essential oils can help enhance self-confidence, radiate vibrancy, and increase sensitivity. Some essential oils can be stimulants, others aphrodisiacs, others euphoric or sedative. Their scents stimulate the mood and psyche creating erotic sensations and awakening desire.
Essential Oils for Romance:
- PATCHOULI – Voluptuous, evident, suggestive, sensual. Reaches deep into the emotions and helps to decrease inhibition and to enable the release of emotions.
- YLANG YLANG – Exotic, intense and exciting. it’s believed that its stimulating and healing properties can help in cases of impotence and frigidity. It can help dispel feelings of anger, jealousy and envy.
- CARDAMOM – Its aroma helps clear the mind and stimulates the appetite for love. Spicy and profoundly sensual in nature.
- CLARY SAGE – Seductive, sensual and mildly intoxicating, exhilarating and euphoric. Soothes stress and anxiety and helps to remove fears and emotional blocks allowing for a deeper communication between partners.
- GRAPEFRUIT – Instills self-confidence and positivity. It’s tart scent invites playfulness and brightens up the day.
- MANDARIN – Fresh, young and playful. Mandarin adds joy and lightness to any aromatherapy blend. Enhances emotional well-being.
- LEMON – Stimulant, refreshing, restores the nervous system. Applied through massage, it can help to improve circulation. Adds joy and lightness to any aromatherapy blend.
Setting the stage for romance:
Preparing your space carefully can help ensure a peaceful and romantic evening or afternoon, one that is certain not to be forgotten for some time to come. Fill essential oil burner with water and add up to 10 drops of essential oils.
A soothing bath is the perfect prelude to your date. Fill bath with warm water, add 1/4 cup of sea salts or mountain salts mixed with up to 10 drops of essential oils and bathe by candlelight.
Massage is a gift of intimacy that will help to enhance communication, love and care. It’s the perfect time to listen carefully to the needs and wishes of your partner. Mix 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil with up to 4 drops of essential oils. Apply small amounts of blend to the areas of the body you want to work, and enjoy.
© AROMANDINA – All rights reserved – aromatherapy blog
This information on this blog is based on traditional use of aromatherapy and it does not intend to diagnose or treat any condition. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. No part of this blog may be reproduced in whole or in part without the explicit written permission of Aromandina.