MediLexicon’s medical dictionary, dandruff is: The presence, in varying amounts, of white or gray scales in the hair of the scalp, due to excessive or normal exfoliation of the epidermis. No one likes it when flakes of their scalp’s dead skin cells are on their shoulders. A couple of months ago my son was not happy, a dandruff problem was making a mess of his appearance and teenage life. The itching was so bad and he scratched so much that it was leaving scabs, he asked for help know that essential oils would be able to provide a fast dandruff relief.
What to do?!You guessed it, I researched in my many books for a good dandruff recipe and put it to work. The itching became less and less until there was no more itching or scabs and his shoulders are now clean and free of all those nasty flakes. Not only that, his hair smells great!
What produces dandruff?According to the Mayo Clinic, there are many causes of dandruff such as a yeast-like fungus, too much oil on the scalp, changes in your hormones; stress; illness; not shampooing often enough; and more. My knowledge and intuition of aromatherapy lead me to use a combination of essential oils that:
- Stimulate the healing mechanism of the skin to prevent a further buildup of dandruff scales
- Activate the skin metabolism
- Have anti-fungal properties
- Balance the sebum production of the hair glands
- Relieve scalp itching
1) Dandruff Shampoo with Essential OilsAt your local health food store look for a Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) free shampoo, unscented is preferable. Add 40 drops of Immune Support Essential Oil and 20 drops of Peppermint essential oil to an 8 oz bottle of natural, unscented shampoo. Shake well and use it as often as you wash your hair.
2) Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic with Essential Oils12 oz boiled or distilled water 4 oz raw apple cider vinegar 20 drops Immune Support Essential Oil 10 drops Peppermint essential oil 20 drops Cedarwood Atlas essential Oil Combine and shake well. Using 1 teaspoon of this preparation massage scalp and leave it on the hair for at least 30 minutes. For better results leave this tonic on all night. This should be done the night before hair will be washed. You will notice the first symptoms, like itchiness and irritation, will go away after a couple of days, but I do recommend to use these preparations for a couple of months for a more lasting result.
Other useful essential oils for dandruff relief:Rosemary
Cedarwood essential Oil
© 2011, Cristina Proano-Carrion, Aromandina LLC